Interview with JUNE NEELU



Club Muzik's
A  R  T  I  S  I  A
V  o  i  c  e      O  f      T  h  e      S  t  a  r  s

JUNE NEELU


June Neelu is an independent singing artist from Manipur, based in Bengaluru. Her songs comprises of both English and Manipuri.

Club Muzik: It would be great if Manipur had many sensational female singers. Alot many people including Club Muzik believe that you are sensational. Have a say on this?

June Neelu:  Well, Thank you so much. I think Manipur has many sensational female singers. We have singers like Laishram Mema, Roshibina, Pushparani and many others. As far as I am concerned, I am not a professionally trained singer. I just sing for the love of music, it’s my passion. People started to appreciate me on my YouTube channel and that really kept me going. If people think that I am sensational, then that’s the best compliment I can ever get. I always try to deliver good and meaningful music.

Club Muzik: How do the name June Neelu?

June Neelu:  You will be surprised by the numbers of pet names which I got and Neelu is one of them! Many people call me by different names. There were group of friends, back when I was doing my MBA, who called me by the name, June.  And one day, when I signed up for Facebook, I simply signed up as June Neelu and that’s how I got the name!!

Club Muzik: What is your musical background?

June Neelu:  As I said earlier, I don’t have a professional background. I was singing since I knew myself. I think that’s because of my family. Everyone loves music in my family, my two brothers used to strum guitars when they grew up as well. So I think music just got hooked on to me just like that! Then later on, I used to sing with friends when we get together and somehow I thought of uploading those jam sessions on YouTube. And from that point onwards, there was no looking back!

Club Muzik: Who all do you associate with in your process from composing to all the production and releasing of your music?
June Neelu:  I am an artist who believes in collaboration. I think in today’s global networked age, collaboration is going to be the biggest thing in music and it is happening now as well. I collaborate with lots of other talented artist/friends to create a good music. I consider myself to be extremely lucky to have worked with Jeet, B Maisnam, Big Deal for my music. And there are group of young, extremely talented independent filmmakers in Bangalore who also help me in my videos.

Club Muzik: How do you describe your music?

June Neelu:   I would say I don’t have any particular genre. For me, I believe in making music that appeals to everyone. As long as I strike a  chord with the audience, I would love to sing. My music is mostly inspirational.

Club Muzik: Tell us about the best options a girl like you would choose, to become a music professional?

June Neelu:   I think gender has nothing to do in choosing music as a profession. But being a girl, it’s little hard to be in the industry esp in Manipur. We have limitation on the gigs as there is always the issue of security in Manipur.  Having said this, I think we should try to overcome the issue with positive vibe and spread the message of the music through different available channels like YouTube and Vimeo!

Club Muzik: What do you like about music and being an artist?

June Neelu:   Music is the closest thing that comes in expressing the inexpressible. Music doesn’t have barriers, it’s a universal language. People connect with music and above all, I think music can liberate people from miseries, hatred and distress. As an artist I pay huge amount of attention to the content of the song and of course the form as well.

Club Muzik: Music is what musicians eat and spit. Give us some clue to how you maintained yourself to perfect your musical talents?

June Neelu:   Well, the trick is to believe in your music. I don’t believe in ‘inborn’ talents, I think talents are nurtured over the time and through hard work. To get my music engine running, I listen to lots of music across different spectrum. That gives me inspiration to sing. And also, more importantly, I keep on singing whenever I can. I never get tired of it!

Club Muzik:  People say that family is what we are made of. Can you please tell us about your family's interest in music or your music?

June Neelu:   My family loves music. I can say that I am born in a family of rhythms. My grandfather was a dance scholar. My parents love classic songs and my brothers sing and play guitar. But there are times when my parents think that I should concentrate more on my career than my music.  I think my parents have not seen much of my videos!! They know that I do music videos but they would try to underplay it and make me think more of my career!

Club Muzik: What image do you think your music and the videos conveys?

June Neelu:   My music and videos speak one language: Simplicity. I think simplicity is the most important part of our lives. Through simplicity, we can connect to different people and my music tries to do that. If I can connect to people with my music then I think I am able to do something.

Club Muzik: Song writing, who does it for you?

June Neelu:   As I mentioned earlier, I collaborate with different artist. Most of the songs which I have released so far are written by me and the collaborating artist. I also do write my songs, which will be out as a music album in due course of time.

Club Muzik: How many gig have you done in Manipur, share your experience at the Nokia's Yaoshang Rock Show held at Y.A.C Range Ground?

June Neelu:   So far, I have done only one gig in Manipur and that’s the Yaoshang Rock Show. It was such an amazing experience. Sharing stage with Parikrama was a moment that I will cherish for long. It was such a learning curve for me to perform with experienced and talented musicians. And above all, I was really happy with the crowd’s energy and response.
Club Muzik: To you: The best age to get married? (Mention the number only)
June Neelu:  










The Interview of June Neelu has been published on 13th April, 2014 at http://www.hueiyenlanpao.com.
Web Published Link :: http://goo.gl/CO8RdK
Official Fb Profile: June Neelu
Official Youtube Channel: Youtube June Neelu
Questions Written & Revised by: Lukhendro KeishamCo-ordinator: Ithoiba Potshangbam

Produced by


Comments